Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Tennessee Stars Hollow

I'm finally home for Thanksgiving! It's so cozy and homey here and I can't wait for all of the scrumptious food that we will feast on tomorrow.

I also finally finished my papers Friday around 12 or 12:30...am. I was so ecstatic about it being over that I literally jumped up and down around my apartment, giggling and feeling positively giddy. The fact that my weekend would be free to do whatever I pleased overjoyed me. So, just as I said I would, I worked on Thanksgiving letters, slept a lot, and attempted to visit a flea market. I say attempted because, after driving 45 minutes to an hour outside of my college town to where my GPS claimed the flea market was located, I found nothing but a WalMart. After driving around several more times to make sure that I had not accidentally missed it, I finally stopped at a CVS to ask. The closest flea market was in Sweetwater, TN...which was 30 minutes away. However, I was told there was an antique mall down the road, "down by the courthouse". Perfect.

What I discovered was the cute little town
of Athens, TN, with a picturesque downtown courthouse, church, coffee house, and several antique shops. It was very Stars Hollow and I was in Heaven. It's one of those small towns where everyone knows each other and I felt like a complete outsider, but it was so much fun that I didn't care.

Here are my finds:

A classic red Thunderbird bike, complete with bow. Add a basket and I'm smitten.






This Saks Fifth Avenue wedding dress.





These are what I bought. A yearbook from 1943 of which the owner was a cute girl with glasses who won most friendly; random pictures of random people dating back to the 1920s; picture-postcards of the cast of Wizard of Oz and Marilyn Monroe; and this beautiful heart shaped locket, complete with the original owner's initials and pictures. I just gave this to my sister for her 20th birthday which is on Saturday.

There are more pictures of my finds, but I will post them later.

Hope you're having a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment